Yesterday, August 24, was the birthday of talented and award winning Nollywood actress, producer and scriptwriter, Funke Akindele.
1. Funke’s first movie was Unclad Wire (1997), produced by Opa Williams, in which she played a waitress.
2. Funke became famous after featuring in popular United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) sponsored sitcom, I Need To Know. She played Bisi, a curious but highly intelligent secondary school student. The sitcom ran for 4 years, 1998 to 2001.
3. Funke studied mass communication in the former Ogun State Polytechnic, now Moshood Abiola Polytechnic. The talented actress is also a graduate of Law from the University of Lagos, Akoka, Yaba.
4. Funke became popular after the release of Jenifa in 2009, a movie she produced under her Scene One Productions company.
5. Funke runs a non-governmental organisation known as The Jenifa Foundation, which nurtures talent among other things.
6. Funke was married to Kenny Almaroof Oloyede between May 2012 and July 2013. Their courtship, marriage and subsequent divorce were not devoid of controversy.
7. Since, the first Jenifa movie, the actress has produced two others: Jenifa 2 and The Return of Jenifa. In January 2015, the actress announced a TV series called Jenifa’s Diary based on the popular character.
8. Funke has starred in several other Nollywood blockbusters including the Tunde Kelani directed Maami; Omo Ghetto and Married But Living Single.
9.. Funke’s mum is a medical doctor while her father is a retired school principal. Funke Akindele and her mum, Dr Adebanjo
10. Funke has two sisters and one bother. She is the second child. Bonus: Funke has won many awards for acting and producing. In 2009, she won the African Movie Academy Award (AMAA) for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Other awards include: AfroHollywood Awards for Best Supporting Actress; Future Awards – Best Actress; Dynamix Awards – Best Actress; City People – Best Actress; City People –